Sunday 9 March 2008

My trip to London...

After a ridiculously early start on Wednesday (the sunrise was very impressive... sadly no pictures as I didn't really want to miss my train), and - fortunately - a rather less eventful journey than my last visit there, I arrived at the RGS... Met lots of interesting people and had lots of interesting discussions about what we should and shouldn't be teaching in KS3 - and had a very nice lunch! I was also very impressed (perhaps a bit too impressed...) with the fantastic globes in the Council Room...


As I was passing the Natural History Museum on my way back to the tube, I remembered about the Ice Station Antarctica exhibition that is on until 20th April, so went in to have a look at that... The pair of scissors that live in my pencil case didn't go down well with the security guards at the entrance and so they, along with £7.00, were taken off me. The exhibition was aimed really at primary school children, but there were some interesting bits and pieces, including the opportunity to stand in a freezer room at about -100C (which would be a warm summer day in Antarctica!) and various games to play including driving a skidoo (which I was rather better at when I did it for real in Iceland).

Then off to Angel to meet Mrs Kambalu for dinner at the Afghan Kitchen...

Back to the new St Pancras International Station, where I had half an hour before my train to investigate the new Foyles bookshop, have a look at the famous clock and the infamous Meeting Place statue and cause great amusement to a man with a rubbish cart when I stopped to take a picture of the plaque that said that the huge girders had been made in 1867 at Butterley in Derbyshire!



No comments: